The University of Latestghana is the biggest and oldest of the country’s thirteen publicly funded institutions of higher education. Originally established in 1948 as the University College of the Gold Coast in what was then a British colony, the institution is now fully affiliated with the University of London, which oversees its academic programs and grants its degrees. When Ghana gained its independence in 1957, the college’s name was changed to the University of Ghana. In 1961, when it became an accredited university, it changed its name once again, this time to the University of Ghana. Over forty thousand students are enrolled at the University of Latestghana, which occupies a scenic spot on the western slopes of the Accra Legon hills to the northeast of the city center. The University of Ghana was founded with a primary focus on the humanities, social sciences, law, fundamental sciences, agriculture, and medicine. However, the university’s curriculum was broadened to include more technologically-based and vocational courses, as well as postgraduate study, as part of a national educational reform effort. Accra is home to a teaching hospital and a secondary/external campus for the University of Ghana, which is mostly located in Legon, around 12 kilometers northeast of the heart of Accra. The Latestghana. Energy Commission also has a graduate school of nuclear and Allied Sciences, making it one of the few African institutions to provide courses in nuclear physics and nuclear engineering.